Saturday 5 November 2011

'Why are you in New Zealand?'

It seems like I am asked this question at least once a day if not more. The answer varies depending on my mood and who's asking. This might seem odd that I don't have one reason, but hey bear with me on this.

When your travelling anywhere new and your planning on staying there for awhile the question is bound to come up. I know I have asked it of people who I have met along the way and I love to hear the various answers. I think people find it all the more interesting when your a little bit older and not straight from high school or uni. It's no longer just a typical gap year; this is you choosing to stop what was happening in you life and try something new.

So why am I here?? I have so many reasons and all of them together have helped me choose to leave my life behind in the UK and try something new in New Zealand

I am a dreamer-

I want to have fun -

I love to travel. I always have. Even if it was just family weekends away in the caravan when I was younger. I want to be able to say I have seen some of the world when I'm 90 and talking to my great grandchildren. Our world is so vast I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I shall see it all but little bits of it will be great. And before anyone gets argumentative and says you need to see what is on your doorstep. I love Great Britain and Europe I am a true patriot to England and love to explore my own country as well. 

I love to learn - I love the fact that there is so much to see, experience, discover in this world.

I grew up hearing about New Zealand – My great Aunt Whin came to New Zealand after World War II on a ship and ever since then my mum's family seem to have an affinity with the country. It seems to have been drilled into us from an early age that New Zealand is an amazing place. My Great Aunt Murial visited in the 80's (I think) and talked about it all the time. She gave me two wooden boxes before she passed away that were made in New Zealand I don’t know if you cast a spell on them but ever since then there has been a little voice calling me :) 


I broke up from my boyfriend of four and half years- What's that got to do with it?? Some people find it easy to walk away from something like that. It seems I am not one of those people. I realised I wanted something different from my ex and that was to see the world, explore, be a dreamer. But that did not mean we did not love each other. All year we have tormented each other by getting in touch and meeting up,coming away is a way to give us both distance, to help us both figure out what it is we want.


Life is short – just over a year ago a brave young man died fighting for his country. This man was my brothers best friend. This terrible tragedy made me think that life is far to short. Life is not about waiting till next year or until I retire, life is about living! If there is something I want to do I am going to do it.

So there you have it, why I am in New Zealand. I don't ever tell anyone all of these, I normaly just pick one, haha.  They would probably think I was a crazy person, to be honest after reading this back myself I kinda think so as well. 

Even if this only lasts for a few months what have I lost, I will have met amazing people learnt new lessons, had fun what more can I ask for.


I was wondering how I was going to be able to illustrate this post when I happened across another blog. Everyday the blogger posts a post stick with a saying, a quote and places it somewhere for people to find. I thought they were a great way to help illustrate my rambles today.     http://thingsweforget.blogspot.com/




Till next time,

Katie. x

No comments:

Post a Comment