Monday 14 November 2011

Being far away.

Being so far away from home is a little bit daunting at times, but that is far out weighed by the all the new experiences, people, adventures I am having. I have had the odd moment when I think why am I here but that does not normally last very long (5 mins max).Then I get distracted by something or other and think wow I’m on the other side of the world how amazing is this. 

I am not really one to get homesick. I am very lucky in where ever I make my base I feel at home instantly, be it a hostel for a day or two, or my own house. I have not missed anything from back home yet. However I have made a concious effort to stay in touch with people back home. Technology has made it so much easier to do this. I quick Skype call, facebook or post on here and I feel like I am still in touch with everyone back home. I am aware that as much  I’m off having this amazing adventure I am doing it alone. My parents need to hear from me once in awhile to know all is OK. :) make sure I’m alive. Which I don't always do very well case in point this last weekend.

Family
People keep asking would I stay out here for good.  I have only been away from home for 6 weeks at the moment so who knows what will happen. My response now would be no. My current plan is to be here for two years. As I said I dont really get homesick, however I think I would miss my family too much to stay out here permanently. Mainly my niece and nephew (sorry everyone else :p) I think I would find it very hard to only see them once every few years, and that makes me think what would happen if I had kids. My family would hardly know them, as much as technology is amazing I just don’t think Skype and a visit once every few years would cut it. As I said though I have only been here six weeks we will have to wait and see what the future holds.
................................................................
Note to other travellers/ ex-pats: Technology makes life easier don’t be arrived to move to New Zealand and give it a try. Get your friends and family on skype before you go. Take down there email addresses.
If your travelling alone - You will have the odd moment when you are by yourself and feeling a little lost but don’t give up early on persevere and you will be so glad you did. Remember to stay in contact with home, they need to know your safe.
  ................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment