Sunday 24 June 2012

Salutations from Huckins

Me and my room mates outside our cabin

Hey everybody, after a six year break I am writing this blog post at Camp Huckins on Lake Ossipee in Freedom New Hampshire.  In-case you missed it I left New Zealand over three and a half weeks ago and headed to the USA and Camp Huckins.  I was last at the camp in 2005 when I was 19 years old and for the last six years I have been meaning to come back but life kept getting in the way. This year however I had the perfect opportunity to return.

After a very long trip to get to the States I touched down in New York on Saturday June 9th.  feeling slightly jet lagged I made it through customs and into New York with not too much hassle, only getting a little confused at the the way in which the streets are named.    A night in New York followed by two bus rides via Boston I finally made it to Conway ready to be picked up by Mark another international staff member who began his Huckins experience in 2005 and is now a full time member of staff 7 years later.

After two weeks of getting ready for the campers to arrive. We are now finally up and running, having welcomed the 1st session campers on Saturday 23rd.

So what is Huckins you may be wondering?
Camp Nellie Huckins is an all girls camp in Freedom New Hampshire. It is lots of green and white cabins surrounded by pine trees beside a lake. It is a place that has that will capture the heart and inspiration of anybody who enters. (hence why I am back seven years later) It is a place that allows girls to be girls for two weeks every summer. 
 
Meeting New People
Over the next 10 weeks I will add entries on here that will explain Camp Huckins to you all. But to sum it up for now camp for me is sharing a room for ten weeks,  eating family style, standing on benches to sing, flag raising, making amazing friends, chapel talks, dress-up meals, cabin activities, the waterfront, awards, craftshop, the island, loons, vespers, talent shows, program days, camp-fires, Hucksters ceremonies and Candlelight. 
Dress Up Lunches
Awards
During staff week I was in a meeting and suddenly the cheers theme tune came to mind which I thought summed up Huckins perfectly. 
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away? 

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows your name.


Keep coming back to find out more at life at Camp Huckins. 

Thanks for reading, 
Katie .x.x

No comments:

Post a Comment